Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Day of Firsts

Our day yesterday began a bit earlier than normal. By 5:30 a.m. there was a flurry of activity as the kids rose in great anticipation of their first day of school.

Donned in school uniforms and new shoes with bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils, khokis (take a stab at what these are) and lunch pails carried in book bags the “taxi” was back in service.

Blake, beginning Grade 1 and wearing the full school uniform for the first time, confessed his excitement and anxiety during the pre-school chatter. It wasn’t long before he was settled in his new classroom and gaining confidence in what lies ahead……


Skyler’s prayer to have at least one friend from last year in her class this year was abundantly answered as she brewed with excitement upon realizing the whole “sticker club” (her closest friends that trade stickers for kicks) would brave Grade 4 at her side. This would certainly be a first for her.


And precious little Victoria finally able to attend school on the same first day as her big brother and sister climbed enthusiastically into the car on her way to the beginning of Pre-K…..


All returned home full of stories from the first day of school. Mom and Dad grateful it went so well and expectant of a wonderful year for all 3.


Foolish to think this would be our only “firsts” today. As Skyler and Tori played late in the afternoon, Tori took a tumble off the bed and hit her head. (that is why monkeys aren’t supposed to jump on the bed). She gave us a fright and oh what a sight of my babies blonde hair streaked with blood.

Off to the ER we rushed, fortunately the cut was not too deep….3 staples would close it. Typical child stuff I suppose but another first for us and prayerfully the last.


When our heads finally hit the pillow I gave a prayer of thanks for God’s army of angels watching over us. Grateful our day of firsts was over and hopeful for the dawning of an uneventful day!

11 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Oh, that last picture is precious! Poor thing - praying she heals up quickly!

So, they still trade stickers? I loved doing that as a kid. Do they still make the squishy ones that looked like colored metal? Or were they probably full of lead or something?

Happy New School Year!!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

great pictures! what an experience mom...that had to be difficult!

i love tori's shoes on her first day! so stylish:0) and blake in his uniform, priceless.

now i can tell my kids what actually happens to the monkey's that jump on beds. that last picture, despite how painful it must have been for her, made me laugh out loud. she looks totally ticked with the whole situation!

Lisa H said...

Well, most of those are pretty fun firsts! Poor little Tori--I can't imagine having to get staples put in my little baby's head, yikes!

Great pictures and so glad that your little one is okay! :)

Linds said...

I still call them khokis although we have been in the UK for nearly 20 years! I get very strange looks! So I know what they are.... felt tip pens.

Susan said...

Love the picture of the 4 of you also the one with the monkey's head bandages in sympathy!!!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures and poor Tori. Loved the monkey with the bandage also.
Who is the cute chick with my three grandchildren. She's still quite a looker.
Guess who.

michelle said...

Thanks DAD! :-)

Sohailah said...

I've missed your updates! Did you cut your hair??? Did I miss something because your Christmas card has long hair - or is it just pulled back?

That must have been so scary - babies and blood - too much to think about you brave brave mommy!

I LOVE their uniforms - gingham! who woulda thunk it!! It's my favorite!

Sohailah said...

and I love Blake's black knee socks!!!

michelle said...

My hair is up. Are you kidding me cut my hair...my husband woudl not have that. :-)

You asked about our pool in an earlier post as well. Yes we have a pool which we are sooo grateful for. It is much like FL here...everyone has a pool and with no aircon on the inside ya gotta have someway to cool down!

Anonymous said...

bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils....you've got mail reference? :)