Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Adding Some Color

We attempt to teach our kids about the Lord through various means. Once in a while we stumble on a good idea that helps us teach a God idea.

Thanks to a blog friend for introducing me to Praying in Color, by Sybil MacBeth. It is a creative idea of praying while doodling.

For Christmas I got my doodle queen (Skyler) the Kids' edition, a sketch pad and some fun markers.

She loved the idea and it brought a whole new dimension to her prayer times.

Prior to our school break (of which we are in week 2) I purchased a sketch book, fun pens and colored pencils for all 3 of my kiddos.

I presented the concept and shared how each morning instead of turning on the TV or playing Wii the first thing we would do, in addition to reading our bibles, is have our own special time to “pray in color”.

The idea was a hit….bibles and sketch books were set out the night before and each child rose ready to put their prayers on paper.



We've had fun discussing pics/prayers with each other and agreeing together in prayer for various needs.

It is a great concept for all ages (I even set my prayers to color sometimes)…Tori can’t read or always articulate her prayers but she loves to color and she’s getting the “just talk to God about what you are drawing” idea.

So “in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, the Franzenfam is presenting our requests to God”….and some days it gets pretty colorful!

9 comments:

Lisa H said...

I love that idea...may just try it with my kids too! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember JM talking about this idea. It sounds wonderful and creative! Whatever it takes to bring your child to a place of talking and sharing with God. :)

Momma Roar said...

Love this idea too!!! Didn't realize there was a kids' edition - and if JM mentioned it ... oops!

:)

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it - how ingenious. What a fun tool for kids to use - you clever Mom.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it - how ingenious. What a fun tool for kids to use - you clever Mom.
Mom

Just Mom said...

I'm so glad they liked the idea. You told me you were getting the book for Skyler, but I had no idea you'd get all the kids involved. That's fantastic!


LA -- You didn't ask. :-D

Michelle said...

What an amazing thing!

Estelle des Chevaliers said...

I think it is scandalous that little children should be indoctrinated in the supernatural in this, or any other, way.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are a master at teaching your kids. What a wonderful way to introduce them to prayer and let them look back and see all God has done! Really nice.