Thursday, January 17, 2008

Load Shedding

…no that is not a phrase that would require a mouth washing with soap, it is when the South African electric company decides “we” need to save electricity and money so they randomly cut your power.

This week it has been cut every day at various times. The funny thing is they post when differing areas will be out of power at what time each day however there is some discrepancy (welcome to living in Africa) as never once has my power gone out when it was scheduled to.

One afternoon I arrived home with my two oldest and the power was out. It was lunch time and of course we could not decide on anything to eat that did not require some sort of cooking….this is when it would be nice if my kid’s were more American- like and ate peanut butter and jelly. So I offered to take them to McDonalds. Later Blake shared with his dad: “We had to go to McDonalds for lunch because it was the only place in the city that had power.” Yea, like I had to twist his arm. He remains disappointed now when he returns from school and we have power.

Yesterday, I awoke with my normal morning battle which consists of 2 alter-ego’s on my shoulders arguing and awaiting which will win me over. One is a mini-me adorned with a pony-tail, no make-up and in PJ’s; the other is mini-me in running shorts and sneakers. The argument- to work out OR not to work out. My healthy alter ego won out (this time) and I huffed it to the gym only to be met by a sign that read, “Gym closed, no electricity in the building.” I swear I heard someone say, “I told you, you should have listened to me.” And I had a vision of myself in my PJ's.
I returned home and guess what? Yep, my power was out. UGH!

Today, it cut at 6:15 a.m. so I declared it a hat day (love those). Not sure what tomorrow will hold but I will plan to stay in my PJ’s and forgo any activity causing much sweat or showering (lovely eh?!)

I wish I could divulge that this is why I have not blogged lately but frankly I’ve just been in the dark when it comes to posts. (Do I get points for the pun?) As I am sure you can tell as I just posted a LONG post on load shedding! Sorry, that is if anyone is still reading.

6 comments:

Just Mom said...

LOL.

You can wear what I've recently discovered: my coordinated activewear. They truly do feel like PJs, and if the mood strikes you can go work out.

Susan said...

The entire world is so dependent on our power source it's really scary, We are that dependent on our true POWER (Jesus) too, we just don't all recognize it all the time!!!!
Susan

Karenkool said...

Great post. It really explained everything. "Load shedding!" What a LOAD of crap. Doh! Sorry about the swear.

Countries still do that? hahha

Jen said...

I'm still reading and that would be so FRUSTRATING!!!!! I love Blakes reason for HAVING to go to McD's. My kids would totally do that. The one thing I like when the power is off is playing games or putting puzzles together in the candlelight.

Momma Roar said...

I'm having a hard time getting up to exercise becuase its way too cold in the basement - granted, once I start moving I warm up...but in the dark early morning hours, I don't want to freeze!!

How long does load shedding go on?

And, how much do you think shipping would be to SA? Actually, if you have the wool - I'd make it for you. I think that will be the hardest thing - new wool is soooo expensive and I'm not sure I'm going to have the time to look at reuzit shops for more. What I got to make it was from the class - I guess we shall see - maybe I'll soon have my own rug shop at etsy.com! :)

Um, sorry for the novel

Gayla said...

frustrating!!! to make the effort to go work out... and then not be able to??? that would put me in a sour mood all day.